Visual Beats Creation
From ESE205 Wiki
What You'll Need:
- The power must be at least 15W RMS in order to get some shapes. We went with 25W RMS and that restricted us to the last creatable pattern at 528Hz
- A good rule of thumb is to buy one that is 1.5x the RMS power of your speaker
- Frequency Generator
- The thickness, size, and material of the plate will have an impact on what sort of shapes you will be able to find
- Materials such as: Aluminum, Mylar, Plexiglas, Phenolic Plastic, Corrugated Plastic/Cardboard work well
- Particle-like Medium
- You will need the size of the particles to be evenly distributed. For example, Salt isn’t efficient as the crystal pieces can come in a variety of sizes.
- One of the challenges will be the balancing and flexibility of the plate.
- We suggest screwing the center of your plate to the exciter for best performance.
- You will also need to consider a strong base for your exciter to be held up with
- We used a tiny screw and screwed that between a hole in a black pole we had. Since this was the only thing supporting the speaker upright, it eventually wore out and unscrewed.
- Once you have the plate well balanced and held tightly, you are ready to play some frequencies and search for visuals.
- Experiment around different frequencies to find some patterns. As you go higher in frequency, you will notice that the patterns get more complicated.
- Make sure to evenly spread out your medium onto the plate, dense regions will interfere with producing a visibly symmetric pattern.