Difference between revisions of "Sonar Tracking SP2011"

From ESE497 Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
Line 12: Line 12:

****Fs of 250k, taking 250k samples over 1 second.  Emitting a sine wave of frequency 40khz.

****Default Amplitude of sine wave was set at 3.  Found setting higher created a more notable peak.  Max setting is 10.

****Moving transmitter by hand comparable to that of a mobile platform creates a noticeable shift in the peak of the receiver's FFT graph.  Not sure of said peak's consistency over repeated experiments.
+
***Moving transmitter by hand comparable to that of a mobile platform creates a noticeable shift in the peak of the receiver's FFT graph.  Not sure of said peak's consistency over repeated experiments.

Revision as of 04:13, 12 February 2011

Progress Report, February 11, 2011.

• I am currently working on determining the feasibility of this project. To do this, I have done the following:
    • Determine the maximum velocity of the mobile platforms.
      • I found the maximum forward radial velocity was 7 rad/s. The max backwards radial velocity was 8 rad/s.
      • This translates to a maximum forwards and backwards velocity of 0.35 m/s and 0.4 m/s respectively.
      • Image of .vi used to find radial velocity.
      • This result is lower than hoped. We were expecting a velocity of around 1.0 m/s.
    • Set-up of Ultrasonic Transmitter and Receiver
      • Setting up the transmitter and receiver proved harder than expected. With help from Ed Richter, I got a .vi working that could run both the transmitter and receiver on the same Elvis board. However, there was an issue of the signals being mixed somewhere between the board and the computer; even if I had the transmitter unplugged, the receiver would still show a strong peak at the frequency the transmitter was programmed to transmit (40khz). So, my temporary solution is to run the receiver and transmitter on different Elvis boards (each of which is connected to a different computer). This works, but is not the most practical solution, so work will have to be done in that regard.
    • Analyze the Fourier Transform
      • Analysis is being done with the following settings:
        • Fs of 250k, taking 250k samples over 1 second. Emitting a sine wave of frequency 40khz.
        • Default Amplitude of sine wave was set at 3. Found setting higher created a more notable peak. Max setting is 10.
      • Moving transmitter by hand comparable to that of a mobile platform creates a noticeable shift in the peak of the receiver's FFT graph. Not sure of said peak's consistency over repeated experiments.