Concussion Coach Log

From ESE205 Wiki
Revision as of 19:45, 8 October 2017 by Egzastrow (talk | contribs) (Week 5 (10/2/17-10/8/17))
Jump to: navigation, search

Link to main project page

Week 1 (9/4/17-9/10/17)

We formed our group and started talking about project ideas. We then met to discuss all of the ideas we had. We then met with Jim to talk about our ideas a decided on a football helmet with a sensor to monitor concussions. We then created the wiki page for our group.

Week 2 (9/11/17-9/17/17)

This week we met with our TA, Nathan, and solidified our project concept. We talked about how we are going to execute our idea and what parts we will need to order. We also created our Gantt chart, splitting up all of the tasks we will need to complete throughout the semester. This week we also met with Jim to discuss the logistics of our project and talked about what skills and materials we would need to fulfill our goals for the project.

Week 3 (9/18/17-9/24/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and solidified the logistics of our projects, i.e., the set up of arduinos and communication between the helmet and sideline via radio frequency (0.75 hours).

Colton
I coded the arduino to have the LED light flash in more code '205' (1 hours).

Arduino Video:

Darby
I researched the various types of arduinos needed for our project. I then researched options for the specific parts that we need (2 hours). I updated the project proposal to reflect the project logistics we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours). I updated the gantt chart to reflect what we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours).
Emma
I created the budget, including all of the items that we need to order as well as other materials that we will need and are provided by the class. I also looked into the option of a touch screen LCD (1 hour).

Week 4 (9/25/17-10/1/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed what we should each be doing to learn the programming and designing for each of our parts (0.75 hour). We also met with Jim and reviewed what we should be doing every week to keep on track with our project and what we should be putting on our weekly log (0.5 hours). Our parts should be arriving by Wednesday this week, so our goal for this week is to start working with the parts and begin coding/designing the actual project.
Darby
This week I fixed the dates in the gantt chart and the weekly log so they reflected the week following our meeting with Nathan on Monday. I also further specified the debugging stages in our gantt chart (0.5 hours). I worked with Emma to update the format of our weekly log based on the posted guidelines (0.5 hours). I ordered all of the parts, which should get here next week (0.5 hours). I spent most of my time watching videos and reading articles about the setup of the arduino uno and how to use the IDE to program it (3 hours). I then practiced working with the arduino by using it to turn an LED on and off with the press of a button (1 hour) and to change the brightness with a potentiometer (1.5 hours). My goals for next week are to familiarize myself with the transmitting and receiving function of the arduino (especially with RF) and to start working with the LCD interface, which should be here on Wednesday.

Turning on LED with button
Using potentiometer to change brightness of LED

Emma
This week I worked with Darby to update and reformat our weekly log to meet the required guidelines (0.5 hours). I spent the rest of my time learning how to use Autodesk Fusion 360. I have never used the software before so I had to start from the very beginning to begin to familiarize myself with it. I watched videos and went through tutorials to learn how to use some of the different tools the program has to offer (5 hours).

Colton
This week I looked up tutorials on how to communicate between Arduino's using radio frequency on YouTube. I found some handy libraries that may help in figuring out how to code our project, and I also found projects that used radio frequency in Arduino (3 hours). Also, I spent some time messing around with the accelerometer on the Arduino to get a feeling of what it would be like to code the actual accelerometer when it comes in. (2 hours).

Week 5 (10/2/17-10/8/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed our first steps with our parts and beginning the design phase of our project (0.5 hours). We received our parts. We also met and created our presenetation for class on Friday and updated our gantt chart to extend our design phase as Nathan suggested (0.5 hours). File:Concussion Coach Presentation 10-6.pdf
Darby
This week I started working with the LCD screen. I watched videos and looked at charts for how to create the circuit for the LCD and use the LiquidCrystal library (2 hours). I researched how to use RF with arduino (1.5 hours). I tried to put together the circuit but could not figure out how to attach LCD to breadboard (1 hour). Contacted Nathan and realized I had to solder on the pins, so I watched videos on how to solder pins to LCD and then soldered the pins onto LCD (1 hour). I set up the circuit and got the 'hello world!' example working (1 hour). I started writing code for a way to display and store player information using an array and having the LCD scroll through the player list and information. (1.5 hours). My goals for this week are to get the code I was working on to work and to start working with Colton on the communication with RF.

Hello World LCD

Colton
I began to work on radio frequency with Arduino this week. Because I wasn't comfortable with soldering anything to the Arduino Mini at this point, I found code to communicate between the radio transmitter and receiver on the Arduino Uno (2 hour). I researched how to use the accelerometer effectively so that it doesn't sense forces on one spot of the helmet. I also searched for online libraries that contained code that is related to what our project needs (3 hours). My goals this week are to learn how to solder properly and finally communicate between Arduino's.
Emma
This week I continued to do tutorials and guided builds on Fusion 360 to continue to familiarize myself with the software (3 hours). I also began to design a rough draft of the shell for our shell for the arduino and LCD screen for the coach's communication console (2 hours). My goals for the the coming week are to continue to work on the coach's shell as well as to start thinking about and working on what design we are going to use for the shell for the arduino mini.