Difference between revisions of "Concussion Coach Log"

From ESE205 Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Week 6 (10/9/17-10/15/17))
Line 138: Line 138:

This week I continued to work on designing the shell for the lcd screen and arduino that the coach will hold. I had some issues with my computer freezing so everything was working really slowly. I thought it was because I had too many programs open and my computer couldn't handle it. I downloaded a new 3D model of the Arduino Uno and now everything is running much smoother. I have a rough design for the shell, but I definitely will need to continue to resign and change as we continue (5 hours).<br />

'''Colton'''<br />

'''Colton'''<br />
I continued working with radio frequency this week and feel pretty comfortable with it now. I did examples focusing on simple communication, like sending a signal to the receiver using the transmitter to print out values. I also did examples using analog values, which is more like our project. I used an example with the temperature sensor that sent the data to the receiver, which is on a different Arduino (4 hours). After this, I tried searching online for a library that reflected our project more closely (1 hour)
+
I continued working with radio frequency this week and feel pretty comfortable with it now. I did examples focusing on simple communication, like sending a signal to the receiver using the transmitter to print out values. I also did examples using analog values, which is more like our project. I used an example with the temperature sensor that sent the data to the receiver, which is on a different Arduino (4 hours). After this, I tried searching online for a library that reflected our project more closely (1 hour) <br />
 +
== Week 6 (10/16/17-10/22/17)t ==
 +
'''All'''<br />
 +
This week we met with Jim to update him on the progress of our project (0.5 hours). We discussed a couple of things for us to think about as we work on our project, including how fast the arduino should be sampling the accelerometer and how long of an impulse a hit would cause.<br />
 +
'''Darby'''<br />
 +
This week I met with Colton to talk more about implementing the rf. We made a plan for him to work on the accelerometer with the rf and for us to meet later this week so I can finish up the rf and get the LCD to print a message received from the rf (1 hour). I had a lot of other exams this week, so I didn't have much time to work on the project, but I plan to put in a lot of time next week to get the rf working between the accelerometer and the LCD.

[[Category:Logs]]

[[Category:Logs]]

[[Category:Fall 2017 Logs]].

[[Category:Fall 2017 Logs]].

Revision as of 20:26, 22 October 2017

Link to main project page

Week 1 (9/4/17-9/10/17)

We formed our group and started talking about project ideas. We then met to discuss all of the ideas we had. We then met with Jim to talk about our ideas a decided on a football helmet with a sensor to monitor concussions. We then created the wiki page for our group.

Week 2 (9/11/17-9/17/17)

This week we met with our TA, Nathan, and solidified our project concept. We talked about how we are going to execute our idea and what parts we will need to order. We also created our Gantt chart, splitting up all of the tasks we will need to complete throughout the semester. This week we also met with Jim to discuss the logistics of our project and talked about what skills and materials we would need to fulfill our goals for the project.

Week 3 (9/18/17-9/24/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and solidified the logistics of our projects, i.e., the set up of arduinos and communication between the helmet and sideline via radio frequency (0.75 hours).

Colton
I coded the arduino to have the LED light flash in more code '205' (1 hours).

Arduino Video:

Darby
I researched the various types of arduinos needed for our project. I then researched options for the specific parts that we need (2 hours). I updated the project proposal to reflect the project logistics we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours). I updated the gantt chart to reflect what we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours).
Emma
I created the budget, including all of the items that we need to order as well as other materials that we will need and are provided by the class. I also looked into the option of a touch screen LCD (1 hour).

Week 4 (9/25/17-10/1/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed what we should each be doing to learn the programming and designing for each of our parts (0.75 hour). We also met with Jim and reviewed what we should be doing every week to keep on track with our project and what we should be putting on our weekly log (0.5 hours). Our parts should be arriving by Wednesday this week, so our goal for this week is to start working with the parts and begin coding/designing the actual project.
Darby
This week I fixed the dates in the gantt chart and the weekly log so they reflected the week following our meeting with Nathan on Monday. I also further specified the debugging stages in our gantt chart (0.5 hours). I worked with Emma to update the format of our weekly log based on the posted guidelines (0.5 hours). I ordered all of the parts, which should get here next week (0.5 hours). I spent most of my time watching videos and reading articles about the setup of the arduino uno and how to use the IDE to program it (3 hours). I then practiced working with the arduino by using it to turn an LED on and off with the press of a button (1 hour) and to change the brightness with a potentiometer (1.5 hours). My goals for next week are to familiarize myself with the transmitting and receiving function of the arduino (especially with RF) and to start working with the LCD interface, which should be here on Wednesday.

Turning on LED with button
Using potentiometer to change brightness of LED

Emma
This week I worked with Darby to update and reformat our weekly log to meet the required guidelines (0.5 hours). I spent the rest of my time learning how to use Autodesk Fusion 360. I have never used the software before so I had to start from the very beginning to begin to familiarize myself with it. I watched videos and went through tutorials to learn how to use some of the different tools the program has to offer (5 hours).

Colton
This week I looked up tutorials on how to communicate between Arduino's using radio frequency on YouTube. I found some handy libraries that may help in figuring out how to code our project, and I also found projects that used radio frequency in Arduino (3 hours). Also, I spent some time messing around with the accelerometer on the Arduino to get a feeling of what it would be like to code the actual accelerometer when it comes in. (2 hours).

Week 5 (10/2/17-10/8/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed our first steps with our parts and beginning the design phase of our project (0.5 hours). We received our parts. We also met and created our presenetation for class on Friday and updated our gantt chart to extend our design phase as Nathan suggested (0.5 hours). File:Concussion Coach Presentation 10-6.pdf
Darby
This week I started working with the LCD screen. I watched videos and looked at charts for how to create the circuit for the LCD and use the LiquidCrystal library (2 hours). I researched how to use RF with arduino (1.5 hours). I tried to put together the circuit but could not figure out how to attach LCD to breadboard (1 hour). Contacted Nathan and realized I had to solder on the pins, so I watched videos on how to solder pins to LCD and then soldered the pins onto LCD (1 hour). I set up the circuit and got the 'hello world!' example working (1 hour). I started writing code for a way to display and store player information using an array and having the LCD scroll through the player list and information. (1.5 hours). My goals for this week are to get the code I was working on to work and to start working with Colton on the communication with RF.

Hello World LCD

Colton
I began to work on radio frequency with Arduino this week. Because I wasn't comfortable with soldering anything to the Arduino Mini at this point, I found code to communicate between the radio transmitter and receiver on the Arduino Uno (2 hour). I researched how to use the accelerometer effectively so that it doesn't sense forces on one spot of the helmet. I also searched for online libraries that contained code that is related to what our project needs (3 hours). My goals this week are to learn how to solder properly and finally communicate between Arduino's.
Emma
This week I continued to do tutorials and guided builds on Fusion 360 to continue to familiarize myself with the software (3 hours). Before I could begin designing I had to find and figure out how to download and import the correct arduino model to build around in Fusion 360 (0.5 hours). I also began to design a rough draft of the shell for our shell for the arduino and LCD screen for the coach's communication console (2 hours). My goals for the the coming week are to continue to work on the coach's shell as well as to start thinking about and working on what design we are going to use for the shell for the arduino mini.

Week 6 (10/9/17-10/15/17)

All
This week we met with Nathan and updated him on our progress. We went over what we should each be focusing on for the next couple of weeks and also reviewed soldering (0.75 hours).
Darby
After meeting with Nathan, he suggested that I don't worry about making the LCD scroll and focus more on just displaying a message. Since I had already gotten the LCD working there isn't much I can do with it without the RF working. I met Colton and we talked about what information would be sent and we decided on just the magnitude of the force and the player number, keeping the project open to more than one helmet. The player number and the force will then be displayed on the LCD (1 hour). I then worked on the RF and completed the light switching demo (5 hours). It took a while to to figure out why the RF hasn't been working, but I realized that our receiver was set up differently than the ones in the examples online. Once I realized this everything worked properly.

CC rf.gif

Emma
This week I continued to work on designing the shell for the lcd screen and arduino that the coach will hold. I had some issues with my computer freezing so everything was working really slowly. I thought it was because I had too many programs open and my computer couldn't handle it. I downloaded a new 3D model of the Arduino Uno and now everything is running much smoother. I have a rough design for the shell, but I definitely will need to continue to resign and change as we continue (5 hours).
Colton

Week 6 (10/16/17-10/22/17)t

All
This week we met with Jim to update him on the progress of our project (0.5 hours). We discussed a couple of things for us to think about as we work on our project, including how fast the arduino should be sampling the accelerometer and how long of an impulse a hit would cause.
Darby
This week I met with Colton to talk more about implementing the rf. We made a plan for him to work on the accelerometer with the rf and for us to meet later this week so I can finish up the rf and get the LCD to print a message received from the rf (1 hour). I had a lot of other exams this week, so I didn't have much time to work on the project, but I plan to put in a lot of time next week to get the rf working between the accelerometer and the LCD..