Difference between revisions of "Concussion Coach Log"

From ESE205 Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Week 7 (10/23-10/29)
m (Protected "Concussion Coach Log" ([Edit=Allow only administrators] (indefinite) [Move=Allow only administrators] (indefinite)))

(25 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 148: Line 148:

'''Colton'''<br />

'''Colton'''<br />

I discovered that I would need to find a library specific to the accelerometer that we have in order to detect the appropriate values of force. I've been practicing on the accelerometer that was given to me for CSE 132 to understand peak detection and sending signals, but it only reaches values of about 3Gs. We need to use our accelerometer that we purchased that can reach values of 200Gs, and for that I searched for basic coding and libraries that could be used for our accelerometer. I discovered code that could be easily altered for us to accommodate for the implementation of an accelerometer. Rather than using an LED and a button in this rf code, I can easily replace it with an accelerometer and use peak detection to determine if the threshold I set has been reached by the movement of the accelerometer (4 hours). My goals for this upcoming week is to be able to finally use the accelerometer that we bought to send a signal, which shouldn't be too hard, and to meet with Darby so that we can print out the signal on the LCD screen. I couldn't devote much time this week to the project due to other assignments and studying for the exam, but this upcoming week should be more productive.<br />

== Week 7 (10/23-10/29 ==
+
== Week 7 (10/23-10/29) ==

'''Darby'''<br />

'''Darby'''<br />
This week I worked on using the rf with the LCD. I read up on the specific command in virtual wire so that I could write my own code for our project (2 hours). I wrote the code to send a message from one arduino, which will eventually be the helmet arduino, to the console arduino and then print the message out onto the LCD screen (4 hours). I also figured out how to easily display a given message for a given period of time before the LCD returns to normal, which will be useful in practice. I was able to end a receive the message successfully, however I have a bug that makes the text on the LCD hard to read even when the potentiometer is adjusted. I also met with Colton and he updated me on his progress with his side of the project (0.5 hours). I did some research on the problem and even tried the simple hello world example and saw the same problem (2 hours). I'm not completely sure what the problem is, but my plan is to set up the circuit again and model look at the images from the last time I had the LCD working properly.
+
This week I worked on using the rf with the LCD. I read up on the specific command in virtual wire so that I could write my own code for our project (2 hours). I wrote the code to send a message from one arduino, which will eventually be the helmet arduino, to the console arduino and then print the message out onto the LCD screen (4 hours). I also figured out how to easily display a given message for a given period of time before the LCD returns to normal, which will be useful in practice. I was able to end a receive the message successfully, however I have a bug that makes the text on the LCD hard to read even when the potentiometer is adjusted. I also met with Colton and he updated me on his progress with his side of the project (0.5 hours). I did some research on the problem and even tried the simple hello world example and saw the same problem (2 hours). I'm not completely sure what the problem is, but my plan is to set up the circuit again and model look at the images from the last time I had the LCD working properly.<br />
 +
'''Emma'''<br />
 +
This week after talking to Nathan about what I wanted to do for the shell for the coach's arduino and lcd screen, I worked to finalize a draft for 3D printing (4 hours). I then met Nathan at the lab and he walked me through how to save the file properly and set up my model for 3D printing. Unfortunately both of the machines were broken so I didn't get to start the actual printing, but Nathan told me that when the machine was up and running again he would start it for me (0.5 hours). Colton gave me the football helmet that we are going to be using for the project, so I started working on the design for the shell for everything that will be inside of the helmet (3 hours). This week I hope to see what works with the 3D model I printed and change my design accordingly, and also have a more final design for the helmet shell to hopefully 3D print in the next week.<br />
 +
'''Colton''' <br />
 +
I finally got the radio frequency to work with the accelerometer that was provided to us in CSE 132, I modified the code in the transmitter class to include accelerometer readings (3 hours). I also soldered the accelerometer that we bought for the course and searched for code online that I could use so that I may replace the 132 accelerometer (2 hours). For this next week I hope to begin using the Arduino Mini when I communicate between Arduinos, and to meet up with Darby so that we can use the accelerometer to send readings to the LCD screen<br />
 +
== Week 8 (10/30-11/5) ==
 +
'''Emma'''<br />
 +
This week I continued to design the model for the shell for the Arduino in the helmet (4 hours). We met with Nathan and he had some ideas about how to design the shell that I had not thought of, and since then I have questions that I need to ask him to progress further in my designing. After our meeting on Monday (11/6) I think I will be able to design a more final draft of the helmet shell. I was planning on fixing design flaws in the coach's arduino shell this week after 3D printing my initial design, but because both of the 3D printers are broken I was unable to really do anything more with my current design. Because of this my week was a little light, but as soon at the printers are up and running again I plan on putting in more hours (hopefully this coming week!).<br />
 +
'''Darby'''<br />
 +
This week I fixed the issue with the text being hard to read on the LCD (2.5 hours). I went through all of the circuitry and couldn't find anything wrong, so I ended up playing with different resistors and was able to make everything more clear. Colton and I met to get the accelerometer working with the LCD but we ran into trouble and couldn't not get the rf to work properly (1.5 hours). I tried a couple of simples examples to get the transmitter and receiver to work but didn't have any success (2 hours). We plan to get help from Nathan and try to figure out why they have stopped working.<br />
 +
'''Colton'''<br />
 +
I couldn't find time to do much this week due to exams and homework from other classes, but I managed to find the circuit schematics and code for the 200G accelerometer. I tried to get this to work, but something didn't seem right with how the code executed once I uploaded it to the Arduino. I plan to meet with Nathan this week to see what the problem may be. (2 hours). I met with Darby so that we could try to send messages via radio frequency from my Arduino to Darby's and we couldn't get the radio frequency to work either. Ugh. (2 hours).
 +

+
== Week 9 (11/6-11/12) ==
 +
'''Darby'''<br />
 +
After meeting with Nathan and realizing that the the rf was not working because the power was not connected to the rf on the breadboard (1 hour), we got the rf working at our meeting with Nathan. I then met with Colton and we got the rf to work sending a message when the accelerometer was moved (or a force was applied) and then received this message and printed it out onto the LCD (2 hours). I researched how to connect the arduino to a battery and well as using the arduino mini so we can finalize our project next week (1.5 hours). I tried to meet with Colton so we could use the accelerometer for this class, which is what he was working on this week, but he didn't have time to meet with me so we will make sure everything works with that accelerometer and then work on soldering and finalizing the project this week. <br />
 +
'''Colton'''<br />
 +
I met with Nathan to discuss what could be the reason I wasn't getting the desired output from the accelerometer, and it turned out to be a circuit issue. Once that was cleared, I was able to calibrate the accelerometer and print out simple messages with if statements whenever it detected motion in a certain direction. I plan to implement radio frequency into the code soon (3 hours). I put some time into figuring out how to power the Arduino with a 9V battery, and I'll try to order the parts soon so that we can start practicing (2 hours). I also plan to meet with Darby this week so that we could finally get the desired result of sending a message with the proper accelerometer<br />
 +
'''Emma'''<br />
 +
This week I edited my 3D model for the coach that I printed (pictures attached of first print). I made changed based on the design flaw that I noticed. In calculating the space I needed for the poles to snap into place, I didn't account for using draft quality for printing, so I needed to leave more space to leave room for imprecision in printing. I also made the standoffs taller so that they would support the LCD screen, with supports coming from the edges, and I also made the poles that they snap into shorter because they were the least stable part of my design. I also realized that the battery did not fit in my old design, so I added more space to accommodate for that (3.5 hours). I sent my design to Nathan for him to print. Also, after talking with Nathan after our meeting last week I made a more final design for the shell for the mini for the helmet (3 hours).
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
| [[File:IMG_6178.jpg|thumb]] || [[File:Imageyay.jpg|thumb]] || [[File:Imageyay2.jpg|thumb]]
 +
|}<br />
 +
== Week 10 (11/13-11/19) ==
 +
'''Colton and Darby'''<br />
 +
Colton and I met and got the new accelerometer working with the rf. We first worked on sending code to indicate the direction the force was being applied on the lcd (1 hour). The same motion also works in the x-direction, the gif just got cut off. We then wrote code to be able to send the magnitude of force applied above a certain threshold. This code is working, but there are still a few kinks to work out with sampling rate etc. (2 hours). <br />
 +
[[File:Rfdirection.gif|thumb|left]]
 +
[[File:Ccreading.gif|thumb|center]]<br />
 +

+
'''All'''<br />
 +
We met to finish the rough draft of our poster and to discuss the shell for the arduino mini and battery pack (1 hour).<br />
 +

+
'''Darby'''<br />
 +
I started a rough draft of the poster design and looked at posters from the previous years (1 hour).
 +
<br />
 +
'''Emma'''<br />
 +
This week Nathan printed the new version of the model for the coach's arduino. When I met with Colton and Darby I checked to make sure that the arduino, 9V battery, and lcd screen would definitely fit, along with extra space for a bread board and any wires. I changed the model slightly, making the walls of the enclosure a little thicker, the poles that snap into the tubes connected to the bottom a little longer, and the poles that go through the four corners of the lcd screen slightly smaller (2 hours). I also modified the helmet shell enclosure, and I added a hole for the wires to be fed through to go to the accelerometer and adjusted the dimensions of the box so that the exact battery that we are using would fit (1 hour).
 +
<br />
 +

+
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
|[[File:Coach1.jpg|thumb]] || [[File:Coach2.jpg|thumb]] || [[File:Coach3.jpg|thumb]]
 +
|}<br />
 +
'''Colton'''<br />
 +
I tried fixing the sampling rate of our accelerometer data so that it would give a more accurate read-out of force. When I would try to applying the same force (or around the same force) to the accelerometer, the values of the magnitude would range substantially, which was caused by an ineffective usage of peak detection in my code. In the next few weeks I will try to fix this. Also, I'm going to start work on the Arduino Mini so that I can begin uploading code to it (2 hours).
 +

+
== Week 11 (11/20-11/26) ==
 +
'''Darby'''<br />
 +
I finished the poster to show Nathan on Monday and hopefully print on Tuesday (1 hour). Colton took the project home for thanksgiving, so hopefully he was able to fix the sampling rate and get the arduino mini working. I plan on soldering and doing anything else to get the project finalized before Friday.
 +
[[File:ConcussionCoachPoster.pdf|thumb]]
 +
<br />
 +
'''Emma'''<br />
 +
I made a few more minor changes to the designs and sent pictures to Darby so that she could use them on the poster (1 hour).<br />
 +
'''Colton'''<br />
 +
Over break I discovered that powering the Arduino Mini and the Arduino Uno would be very simple. Simply take the 9V battery that we have and attach the snap connecter to it and plug the positive end into Vin (or RAW, for the Mini) and the negative into ground. I tried fixing the sampling rate again, but with no luck. I'm confident that I can fix this before demo day. I did not have access to soldering equipment over break, so soldering pins to the Arduino Mini and uploading code will have to wait until I come back (4 hours).
 +

+
== Week 12 (11/27-12/3) ==
 +
'''All'''<br />
 +
We played with the sampling rate on the accelerometer until it was able to give an accurate reading. We tried to get the arduino mini working but it was only working some of the time, so we decided to just use an arduino uno for the helmet side. We then soldered the lcd circuit onto the proto board. Using the mesh covering, we protected the wires connecting the accelerometer to the helmet and then soldered everything on to the proto board for the helmet arduino side. The accelerometer was then fitted into the helmet behind one of the pads. After soldering everything to the proto boards we realized that the 3dd designs needed to be adjusted, so emma changed them to fit the arduino uno for the helmet and the shape of the circuit for the helmet. We also finalized the poster design with our new 3D designs and the change of arduino. At this point the force was being transmitted from the helmet to the lcd without the breadboards (6 hours). We met again and got both the helmet and coach's pad arduinos working with batteries and wrote code to make the message on the lcd screen more user friendly. We then did a lot of testing and decided to add antennas to the receiver and transmitter to expand our range (3 hours). We met before the demo and put everything into our 3D printed shells and everything was working downstairs. When we tried to get everything working upstairs, we ran into problems with the other group using rf. We tried removing the receiver antenna, but were still having issues, so we ended up getting help from Nathan to fix it right before the demo (1 hour).

[[Category:Logs]]

[[Category:Logs]]

[[Category:Fall 2017 Logs]].

[[Category:Fall 2017 Logs]].

Latest revision as of 06:50, 12 December 2017

Link to main project page

Week 1 (9/4-9/10)

We formed our group and started talking about project ideas. We then met to discuss all of the ideas we had. We then met with Jim to talk about our ideas a decided on a football helmet with a sensor to monitor concussions. We then created the wiki page for our group.

Week 2 (9/11-9/17)

This week we met with our TA, Nathan, and solidified our project concept. We talked about how we are going to execute our idea and what parts we will need to order. We also created our Gantt chart, splitting up all of the tasks we will need to complete throughout the semester. This week we also met with Jim to discuss the logistics of our project and talked about what skills and materials we would need to fulfill our goals for the project.

Week 3 (9/18-9/24)

All
This week we met with Nathan and solidified the logistics of our projects, i.e., the set up of arduinos and communication between the helmet and sideline via radio frequency (0.75 hours).

Colton
I coded the arduino to have the LED light flash in more code '205' (1 hours).

Arduino Video:

Darby
I researched the various types of arduinos needed for our project. I then researched options for the specific parts that we need (2 hours). I updated the project proposal to reflect the project logistics we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours). I updated the gantt chart to reflect what we discussed with Nathan (0.5 hours).
Emma
I created the budget, including all of the items that we need to order as well as other materials that we will need and are provided by the class. I also looked into the option of a touch screen LCD (1 hour).

Week 4 (9/25-10/1)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed what we should each be doing to learn the programming and designing for each of our parts (0.75 hour). We also met with Jim and reviewed what we should be doing every week to keep on track with our project and what we should be putting on our weekly log (0.5 hours). Our parts should be arriving by Wednesday this week, so our goal for this week is to start working with the parts and begin coding/designing the actual project.
Darby
This week I fixed the dates in the gantt chart and the weekly log so they reflected the week following our meeting with Nathan on Monday. I also further specified the debugging stages in our gantt chart (0.5 hours). I worked with Emma to update the format of our weekly log based on the posted guidelines (0.5 hours). I ordered all of the parts, which should get here next week (0.5 hours). I spent most of my time watching videos and reading articles about the setup of the arduino uno and how to use the IDE to program it (3 hours). I then practiced working with the arduino by using it to turn an LED on and off with the press of a button (1 hour) and to change the brightness with a potentiometer (1.5 hours). My goals for next week are to familiarize myself with the transmitting and receiving function of the arduino (especially with RF) and to start working with the LCD interface, which should be here on Wednesday.

Turning on LED with button
Using potentiometer to change brightness of LED

Emma
This week I worked with Darby to update and reformat our weekly log to meet the required guidelines (0.5 hours). I spent the rest of my time learning how to use Autodesk Fusion 360. I have never used the software before so I had to start from the very beginning to begin to familiarize myself with it. I watched videos and went through tutorials to learn how to use some of the different tools the program has to offer (5 hours).

Colton
This week I looked up tutorials on how to communicate between Arduino's using radio frequency on YouTube. I found some handy libraries that may help in figuring out how to code our project, and I also found projects that used radio frequency in Arduino (3 hours). Also, I spent some time messing around with the accelerometer on the Arduino to get a feeling of what it would be like to code the actual accelerometer when it comes in. (2 hours).

Week 5 (10/2-10/8)

All
This week we met with Nathan and discussed our first steps with our parts and beginning the design phase of our project (0.5 hours). We received our parts. We also met and created our presenetation for class on Friday and updated our gantt chart to extend our design phase as Nathan suggested (0.5 hours). File:Concussion Coach Presentation 10-6.pdf
Darby
This week I started working with the LCD screen. I watched videos and looked at charts for how to create the circuit for the LCD and use the LiquidCrystal library (2 hours). I researched how to use RF with arduino (1.5 hours). I tried to put together the circuit but could not figure out how to attach LCD to breadboard (1 hour). Contacted Nathan and realized I had to solder on the pins, so I watched videos on how to solder pins to LCD and then soldered the pins onto LCD (1 hour). I set up the circuit and got the 'hello world!' example working (1 hour). I started writing code for a way to display and store player information using an array and having the LCD scroll through the player list and information. (1.5 hours). My goals for this week are to get the code I was working on to work and to start working with Colton on the communication with RF.

Hello World LCD

Colton
I began to work on radio frequency with Arduino this week. Because I wasn't comfortable with soldering anything to the Arduino Mini at this point, I found code to communicate between the radio transmitter and receiver on the Arduino Uno (2 hour). I researched how to use the accelerometer effectively so that it doesn't sense forces on one spot of the helmet. I also searched for online libraries that contained code that is related to what our project needs (3 hours). My goals this week are to learn how to solder properly and finally communicate between Arduino's.
Emma
This week I continued to do tutorials and guided builds on Fusion 360 to continue to familiarize myself with the software (3 hours). Before I could begin designing I had to find and figure out how to download and import the correct arduino model to build around in Fusion 360 (0.5 hours). I also began to design a rough draft of the shell for our shell for the arduino and LCD screen for the coach's communication console (2 hours). My goals for the the coming week are to continue to work on the coach's shell as well as to start thinking about and working on what design we are going to use for the shell for the arduino mini.

Week 6 (10/9-10/15)

All
This week we met with Nathan and updated him on our progress. We went over what we should each be focusing on for the next couple of weeks and also reviewed soldering (0.75 hours).
Darby
After meeting with Nathan, he suggested that I don't worry about making the LCD scroll and focus more on just displaying a message. Since I had already gotten the LCD working there isn't much I can do with it without the RF working. I met Colton and we talked about what information would be sent and we decided on just the magnitude of the force and the player number, keeping the project open to more than one helmet. The player number and the force will then be displayed on the LCD (1 hour). I then worked on the RF and completed the light switching demo (5 hours). It took a while to to figure out why the RF hasn't been working, but I realized that our receiver was set up differently than the ones in the examples online. Once I realized this everything worked properly.

CC rf.gif

Emma
This week I continued to work on designing the shell for the lcd screen and arduino that the coach will hold. I had some issues with my computer freezing so everything was working really slowly. I thought it was because I had too many programs open and my computer couldn't handle it. I downloaded a new 3D model of the Arduino Uno and now everything is running much smoother. I have a rough design for the shell, but I definitely will need to continue to resign and change as we continue (5 hours).
Colton
I continued working with radio frequency this week and feel pretty comfortable with it now. I did examples focusing on simple communication, like sending a signal to the receiver using the transmitter to print out values. I also did examples using analog values, which is more like our project. I used an example with the temperature sensor that sent the data to the receiver, which is on a different Arduino (4 hours). After this, I tried searching online for a library that reflected our project more closely (1 hour)

Week 6 (10/16-10/22)

All
This week we met with Jim to update him on the progress of our project (0.5 hours). We discussed a couple of things for us to think about as we work on our project, including how fast the arduino should be sampling the accelerometer and how long of an impulse a hit would cause.
Darby
This week I met with Colton to talk more about implementing the rf. We made a plan for him to work on the accelerometer with the rf and for us to meet later this week so I can finish up the rf and get the LCD to print a message received from the rf (1 hour). I had a lot of other exams this week, so I didn't have much time to work on the project, but I plan to put in a lot of time next week to get the rf working between the accelerometer and the LCD.
Emma
This week I started thinking about how the shell for the arduino and other things in the helmet will look like (.5 hours). I have not yet gotten the football helmet from Colton, but when I do I will make more progress on this aspect of the project. I also have a rough design for the coaches arduino shell, which still may need to be edited as we progress (3 hours). I also had exams this week and plan to spend more time next week working on our project to get a design for the helmet shell.
Colton
I discovered that I would need to find a library specific to the accelerometer that we have in order to detect the appropriate values of force. I've been practicing on the accelerometer that was given to me for CSE 132 to understand peak detection and sending signals, but it only reaches values of about 3Gs. We need to use our accelerometer that we purchased that can reach values of 200Gs, and for that I searched for basic coding and libraries that could be used for our accelerometer. I discovered code that could be easily altered for us to accommodate for the implementation of an accelerometer. Rather than using an LED and a button in this rf code, I can easily replace it with an accelerometer and use peak detection to determine if the threshold I set has been reached by the movement of the accelerometer (4 hours). My goals for this upcoming week is to be able to finally use the accelerometer that we bought to send a signal, which shouldn't be too hard, and to meet with Darby so that we can print out the signal on the LCD screen. I couldn't devote much time this week to the project due to other assignments and studying for the exam, but this upcoming week should be more productive.

Week 7 (10/23-10/29)

Darby
Emma
This week after talking to Nathan about what I wanted to do for the shell for the coach's arduino and lcd screen, I worked to finalize a draft for 3D printing (4 hours). I then met Nathan at the lab and he walked me through how to save the file properly and set up my model for 3D printing. Unfortunately both of the machines were broken so I didn't get to start the actual printing, but Nathan told me that when the machine was up and running again he would start it for me (0.5 hours). Colton gave me the football helmet that we are going to be using for the project, so I started working on the design for the shell for everything that will be inside of the helmet (3 hours). This week I hope to see what works with the 3D model I printed and change my design accordingly, and also have a more final design for the helmet shell to hopefully 3D print in the next week.
Colton
I finally got the radio frequency to work with the accelerometer that was provided to us in CSE 132, I modified the code in the transmitter class to include accelerometer readings (3 hours). I also soldered the accelerometer that we bought for the course and searched for code online that I could use so that I may replace the 132 accelerometer (2 hours). For this next week I hope to begin using the Arduino Mini when I communicate between Arduinos, and to meet up with Darby so that we can use the accelerometer to send readings to the LCD screen

Week 8 (10/30-11/5)

Emma
This week I continued to design the model for the shell for the Arduino in the helmet (4 hours). We met with Nathan and he had some ideas about how to design the shell that I had not thought of, and since then I have questions that I need to ask him to progress further in my designing. After our meeting on Monday (11/6) I think I will be able to design a more final draft of the helmet shell. I was planning on fixing design flaws in the coach's arduino shell this week after 3D printing my initial design, but because both of the 3D printers are broken I was unable to really do anything more with my current design. Because of this my week was a little light, but as soon at the printers are up and running again I plan on putting in more hours (hopefully this coming week!).
Darby
This week I fixed the issue with the text being hard to read on the LCD (2.5 hours). I went through all of the circuitry and couldn't find anything wrong, so I ended up playing with different resistors and was able to make everything more clear. Colton and I met to get the accelerometer working with the LCD but we ran into trouble and couldn't not get the rf to work properly (1.5 hours). I tried a couple of simples examples to get the transmitter and receiver to work but didn't have any success (2 hours). We plan to get help from Nathan and try to figure out why they have stopped working.
Colton

Week 9 (11/6-11/12)

Darby
After meeting with Nathan and realizing that the the rf was not working because the power was not connected to the rf on the breadboard (1 hour), we got the rf working at our meeting with Nathan. I then met with Colton and we got the rf to work sending a message when the accelerometer was moved (or a force was applied) and then received this message and printed it out onto the LCD (2 hours). I researched how to connect the arduino to a battery and well as using the arduino mini so we can finalize our project next week (1.5 hours). I tried to meet with Colton so we could use the accelerometer for this class, which is what he was working on this week, but he didn't have time to meet with me so we will make sure everything works with that accelerometer and then work on soldering and finalizing the project this week.
Colton
I met with Nathan to discuss what could be the reason I wasn't getting the desired output from the accelerometer, and it turned out to be a circuit issue. Once that was cleared, I was able to calibrate the accelerometer and print out simple messages with if statements whenever it detected motion in a certain direction. I plan to implement radio frequency into the code soon (3 hours). I put some time into figuring out how to power the Arduino with a 9V battery, and I'll try to order the parts soon so that we can start practicing (2 hours). I also plan to meet with Darby this week so that we could finally get the desired result of sending a message with the proper accelerometer
Emma

IMG 6178.jpg
Imageyay.jpg
Imageyay2.jpg

Week 10 (11/13-11/19)

Colton and Darby
Colton and I met and got the new accelerometer working with the rf. We first worked on sending code to indicate the direction the force was being applied on the lcd (1 hour). The same motion also works in the x-direction, the gif just got cut off. We then wrote code to be able to send the magnitude of force applied above a certain threshold. This code is working, but there are still a few kinks to work out with sampling rate etc. (2 hours).

Rfdirection.gif
Ccreading.gif

All
We met to finish the rough draft of our poster and to discuss the shell for the arduino mini and battery pack (1 hour).

Darby
Emma

Coach1.jpg
Coach2.jpg
Coach3.jpg

Colton

Week 11 (11/20-11/26)

Darby
I finished the poster to show Nathan on Monday and hopefully print on Tuesday (1 hour). Colton took the project home for thanksgiving, so hopefully he was able to fix the sampling rate and get the arduino mini working. I plan on soldering and doing anything else to get the project finalized before Friday. File:ConcussionCoachPoster.pdf
Emma
I made a few more minor changes to the designs and sent pictures to Darby so that she could use them on the poster (1 hour).
Colton

Week 12 (11/27-12/3)

All
We played with the sampling rate on the accelerometer until it was able to give an accurate reading. We tried to get the arduino mini working but it was only working some of the time, so we decided to just use an arduino uno for the helmet side. We then soldered the lcd circuit onto the proto board. Using the mesh covering, we protected the wires connecting the accelerometer to the helmet and then soldered everything on to the proto board for the helmet arduino side. The accelerometer was then fitted into the helmet behind one of the pads. After soldering everything to the proto boards we realized that the 3dd designs needed to be adjusted, so emma changed them to fit the arduino uno for the helmet and the shape of the circuit for the helmet. We also finalized the poster design with our new 3D designs and the change of arduino. At this point the force was being transmitted from the helmet to the lcd without the breadboards (6 hours). We met again and got both the helmet and coach's pad arduinos working with batteries and wrote code to make the message on the lcd screen more user friendly. We then did a lot of testing and decided to add antennas to the receiver and transmitter to expand our range (3 hours). We met before the demo and put everything into our 3D printed shells and everything was working downstairs. When we tried to get everything working upstairs, we ran into problems with the other group using rf. We tried removing the receiver antenna, but were still having issues, so we ended up getting help from Nathan to fix it right before the demo (1 hour)..