JME 2410. Mechanics of Deformable Bodies. Mechanics of Deformable Bodies Stress and strain: equilibrium, compatibility, transformations. Hooke's law. Elastic energy. Stresses in beams, columns, and torsional members. Yield and fracture. Elastic deflection of beams. Statically indeterminate systems. Concept of stability. Prerequisites: ENGR 2310 (statics), Math 1900. Credit 3 units.
Instructor: Sebastian Nervi (314-744-5021, ext 21)
Grader: Matthew Watkins
Textbook: Mechanics of Materials, F. P. Beer, E. R. Russell Johnston & J. T. DeWolf. Fifth Edition, McGraw Hill, Inc. 2008 (ISBN 0-07-352838-7). Note: if you have the fourth edition you can use it for reading, however homework exercises will be assigned from the fith edition.
Lectures: Monday and Wednesday 5:30pm to 7:00pm (Cupples II 202)
Instructor Help Session: Monday and Wednesday 7:00pm to 8:00pm (Cupples II 200): Regular Attendance is strongly recommended.
Tests: Quizzes : Mondays, room Cupples II 202. Closed notes and closed book. Midterm: (03/03/10) one 8.5 x 11 cheat sheet is allowed with formulas only.
Final Exam: (05/12/10 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm) open book plus one 8.5 x 11 cheat sheet. Room Cupples II 200
Grading: Homework/Quizzes (40%), midterm (30%), final exam (30%) 60-69 (D); 70-79 (C); 80-89 (B); 90-100 (A).
Download grade sheet JME 2410 Spring 2010
Goals: Provide basic understanding of mechanics of materials, statically determinate structures, statically indeterminate structures and an introduction to stability.
Further Course Information:
- Review Slides for Chapter 1
- Review Slides for Chapter 2
- Review Slides for Chapter 3
- Review Slides for Chapter 4
- Review Slides for Chapter 5
- Review Slides for Chapter 6 (part 1)
- Review Slides for Chapter 6 (part 2)
- Review Slides for Chapter 7 (part 1)
- Review Slides for Chapter 7 (part 2)
- Review Slides for Chapter 8 (part 1)
- Review Slides for Chapter 8 (part 2)
- Review Slides for Chapter 9 (part 1)
- Review Slides for Chapter 9 (part 2)
- Review Slides for Chapter 10
- Mohr's circle
Additional material available on the web:
Midterm Practice Exams
Midterm Make-Up Exam
Final Practice Exams
- Practice Final Exam 1, Solution: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3
- Practice Final Exam 2, Solution: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3
- Homework 1
- Homework 2
- Homework 3
- Homework 4
- Homework 5
- Homework 6
- Homework 7
- Homework 8
- Homework 9
- Homework 10
- Homework 11
- Homework 12
- Homework 13
- Homework 14